Rettenmaier, Kyllönen, Scott Scoop Major Euro Awards
Marvin Rettenmaier, European Player of the Year. (Photo: World Poker Tour)
Marvin Rettenmaier, Jens Kyllönen and Kara Scott were just three of the stars of a star-packed evening in Paris tonight for the 2013 GPI European Poker Awards.
Party Poker pro Rettenmaier, back-to-back WPT titlist and EPT Prague High Roller champ this year, took home the marquee award of the night in European Player of the Year to go along with German Player of the Year.
With over 20 notable cashes, Rettenmaier earned nearly $2.3 million in 2013 to make him a shoo-in for the award.
Finn Jens "Jeans89" Kyllönen also scooped one of the more prestigious titles of the night, topping a stacked field of nominees including Viktor "Isildur1" Blom, Chris Moorman and Ilari Sahamies to earn Internet Player of the Year.
ESPN Main Event reporter and Battle of Malta host Kara Scott snagged her own high-profile trophy for Poker Personality of the Year, edging out Rettenmaier, Bertrand "Elky" Grospellier, Gus Hansen, Neil Channing and Tony G.
Hansen Wins Lifetime Achievement Award
Despite losing the Poker Personality race Danish poker icon Gus Hansen didn't go home empty-handed as he was awarded the European Poker Lifetime Achievement Award.
Other big winners on the night included German wunderkind Ole Schemion, Belgian Davidi Kitai and France's Lucille Cailly.
See the list of winners below
- European Player of the Year: Marvin Rettenmaier
- Internet Player of the Year: Jens Kyllönen
- Poker Personality of the Year: Kara Scott
- Rookie of the Year: Ole Schemion
- Best Tournament Performance: Davidi Kitai
- Europe's Leading Lady: Lucille Cailly
- Best Tournament of the Year: EPT Barcelona
- Poker Staff Person of the Year: Simon Trumper
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Gus Hansen
Recognition was also given to the most outstanding poker players from nine different European countries:
- French Player of the Year: Bertrand "ElkY" Grospellier
- German Player of the Year: Marvin Rettenmaier
- UK Player of the Year: Roberto Romanello
- Belgian Player of the Year: Davidi Kitai
- Irish Player of the Year: Dermot Blain
- Finnish Player of the Year: Juha Helppi
- Italian Player of the Year: Andrea Dato
- Austrian Player of the Year: Ivo Donev
- Spanish Player of the Year: Cesar Garcia
You May Also Like
New details have come to light about how Phil Ivey used a technique called edge-sorting to win more than $9.6 million from Borgata in baccarat...
16 April 2014
888poker announced today it has signed two of the most impressive young poker players in the world in Xuan Liu and Sofia Lӧvgren to its...
14 April 2014
The Borgata Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City is suing poker pro Phil Ivey for $9.6m claiming he "edge sorted" at its Baccarat tables over...
11 April 2014
Vienna-based high-stakes poker player Niki "KaiBuxxe/RealAndyBeal" Jedlicka is a living legend in the German-speaking poker scene.
30 March 2014