Today's WSOP Photo by Numbers is another BJ Nemeth special, captured with about 80 players left in the $10,000 PLO Championship this afternoon.
As BJ put it, "I've been covering major tournaments since 2004, and I can't recall ever seeing a five-way all-in situation this deep into a major event."
Five players were all-in before the flop, and in Omaha no less!
Read on for the full story of this photo, by the numbers of course.
- Dario Alioto put in the first raise, and made the last call, holding J♦ J♣ 9♣ 9♠. Alioto won the £5,000 PLO event at the 2007 WSOP Europe so he knows a thing or two about the game. Alioto was 19.7% to win this hand and was the only player not at risk of elimination.
- Emil Patel, aka Whitelime, of DeucesCracked.com and 2M2MM fame, held K♦ K♥ 10♣ 9♦ and had a 27.5% chance to win the hand. Patel was all-in with his tournament life on the line.
- Aaron Schaff was all-in and held 8♣ 7♠ 6♠ 5♣, good for a 22% chance at almost quintipling up.
- David Ewing was all-in with A♣ K♣ 8♠ 7♥ and in an abysmal spot with just a 5.8% chance of staying alive.
- Ivan Freitez, recent winner of the EPT Grand Final in Madrid for $2.2 million, had the second biggest stack after Alioto and held A♥ Q♥ 4♥ 4♣. Only Alioto could bust him and he had a 21.4% percent chance to come out on top.
- Here we see one very quick-witted, and quick-penned, tournament reporter. She was able to decode this madness into something resembling a coherent hand and post it on the internet, as tournament reporters are known to do.
- Robbie Thompson, tournament director, headed up the massive effort required to sort out the main pot and side pots before the board was dealt. Head tournament director Jack Effel oversaw the operation from a perch out of frame.
The board ran out A♠ Q♣ 5♠ 4♠ 2♦. Aaron Schaff turned a spade flush which was good for the main pot, eliminating David Ewing, and Ivan Freitez turned a set of fours, good for the side pot and the elimination of Emil Patel.
***Bonus Points*** Also in this photo are Phil Laak, David "DevilFish" Ullioitt, Nenad Medic, Jens Kyllonen, John Kabbaj, Max Pescatori, Michael Binger, Tom Marchese and Vanessa Selbst. If you can spot them all kudos to you.