PokerListings.com is the world's largest and most trusted online poker guide, offering the best online poker bonus deals guaranteed, over $1m in exclusive freerolls every year and the most free poker content available on the Web.
WCOOP Day 17: Bonomo Claims Title, Somerville Final Tables
Justin “ZeeJustin” Bonomo took down the $530 Razz tournament to grab the spotlight on Day 17 of the 2012 WCOOP.
Bonomo was hardly the only pro making noise yesterday, however, as Andrew “foucault82” Brokos, Jason Somerville and Andre Akkari all made significant scores.
As we enter the last portion of the 2012 WCOOP all eyes are on the POY leaderboard, which currently has two-time bracelet winner Mikal12345 leading but George Danzer is only 55 points behind.
Here’s a recap of all the action on Day 17 of the 2012 PokerStars World Championship of Online Poker.
Event 46 $320 No-Limit Hold’em [2X Chance] – Day 2
Online poker pro Andrew “foucault82” Brokos bubbled the final table of the lucrative $320 buy-in No-Limit Hold’em rebuy tournament yesterday.
A total of 2,218 players signed up for the event and once the 680 re-buys were accounted for there was $889,400 in the prize pool.
Day 1 of the tournament saw numerous pros in the action including Henrique.P, Bryan Huang, Brock “t soprano” Parker, Sandra Naujoks and Mickey “mement_mori” Petersen.
The big-name pros were gone by the time Day 2 rolled around, however, and Andrew Brokos was one of the only recognizable names in the final 22.
Brokos appeared to be a lock for the final table but was instead bounced in 10th place when he flopped two-pair against an opponent who hit bottom-pair and a flush draw. The flush came on the turn and that was the end for Brokos.
Instead Puropoker123 went on to win the tournament outright for $139,104. He is the first player from Panama to win a WCOOP bracelet.
Here’s a look at the complete final-table results:
- 1st place: Puropoker123 (Panama) $139,104
- 2nd place: StigR (Norway) $104,328
- 3rd place: Kora Fett (Canada) $78,246
- 4th place: samuraiUA (Ukraine) $53,902.80
- 5th place: jenbizzle (United Kingdom) $39,123
- 6th place: Poeira4 (Portugal) $30,429
- 7th place: dsnka (Czech Republic) $21,735
- 8th place: Festivuss (Argentina) $14,779.80
- 9th place: Armando2011 (United Kingdom) $8,259.30
Event 48 $320 Mixed No-Limit Hold’em/Pot-Limit Omaha
Noted pro Jason Somerville made one of the toughest WCOOP final tables this year but fell four places short of taking down the title.
The mixed event proved to be extremely popular with pros as they made up a huge percentage of the 1,132 players who signed up for the tournament.
Mickey “mement_mori” Petersen was the last PokerStars pro to hit the rail, as he had the misfortune of shoving his short stack into the middle with eight-five against an opponent's pocket queens. He finished in 10th place to bubble the final table.
The final table was an intriguing one with Jan “hairos” Sorensen, Joel Adam “2FLY2TILT” Gordon, David “Betudontbet” Emmons and of course Somerville all looking to wrap up a bracelet.
They were all chasing chip-leader vikkinen, who had amassed 1.6 million chips.
Midway through the final table a game-changing hand occurred between Somerville, Emmons and Sorensen. Somerville was all-in with pocket kings and Emmons with pocket aces but Sorensen would eventually win the hand by turning a queen-high straight.
Both Somerville and Emmons busted in the hand leaving Sorensen to take a serious shot at the bracelet.
Instead Sorensen busted in third and the unheralded mookstar took the tournament down for $59,362.
Here are the complete final table payouts:
- 1st: mookstar (Canada) -- $59,362.08
- 2nd: me so fish (Finland) -- $43,129.20
- 3rd: Jan "hairos" Sorensen (Denmark) -- $32,262
- 4th: Joel Adam "2FLY2TILT" Gordon (United Kingdom) -- $24,110.60
- 5th: Jason "Taknapotin" Somerville (Canada) -- $16,980
- 6th: David "Betudontbet" Emmons (Mexico) -- $13,584
- 7th: vikkinen (Finland) -- $10,188
- 8th: lyzardos (Hungary) -- $6,792
- 9th: bbbbb33 (Malta) -- $3,905.40
Event 49 $530 Razz
Justin “ZeeJustin” Bonomo put on an impressive performance in the $530 Razz tournament yesterday outlasting 387 players to win his first WCOOP title.
The surprisingly robust Event 49 drew plenty of big shots with Bertrand “ElkY” Grospellier, Dave Emmons, Jonathan Turner, Nacho Barbero, Liv Boeree and Maxim Lykov all looking for lowball supremacy.
Team PokerStars Pro Andre Akkari would eventually bubble the final table when to0dey hit the nuts against him.
Bonomo entered the final table (which also included Shawn “Buck21” Buchanan) as one of the short stacks but that did not deter him from immediately busting online player MintTrav.
The entire table must have sighed when Bonomo won that early pot because he was a force from that point on.
Bonomo would eventually enter heads-up play with a chip disadvantage of 811,138 to to0day’s 1.9 million.
Just 10 minutes into the match Bonomo would pull even and he scored the tournament-winning hand 20 minutes later.
The former Bodog pro picked up $36,785 for his performance. Not quite the €1.6 million he earned for taking down the EPT Super High Roller event but a significant score.
Here’s a complete look at the final table payouts:
- 1. Justin "ZeeJustin" Bonomo (Canada) - $36,785.16
- 2. to0dey (Russia) - $27,090
- 3. YoHHH_ViraL (Malta) - $20,317.50
- 4. sonajero (Uruguay) - $14,512.50
- 5. pmahoney22 (Mexico) - $9,675
- 6. hummylun (Canada) - $6,772.50
- 7. Shawn "buck21" Buchanan - $4,837.50
- 8. MintTrav (United Kingdom)- $3,870
Ongoing WCOOP Events
WCOOP-50 $1,050 No-Limit Hold’em - Day 2
- Resumes at 17:00 ET
WCOOP Events Starting Today
6:00 ET – WCOOP-51 $215 No-Limit Hold’em [1R1A]
- $215 buy-in $300,000 guaranteed
11:00 ET – WCOOP-52 $215 No-Limit Hold’em [Big Antes]
- $215 buy-in $300,000 guaranteed
14:00 ET – WCOOP-53 $320 Omaha-8
- $320 buy-in $150,000 guaranteed