WCOOP Day 20: Maimone, Kostritsyn Make Huge Scores
Nick Maimone and Alex Kostritsyn both made the final table of Event 57 on one of the last days of the 2012 WCOOP.
Kostritsyn finished in fifth place to win $51k while Maimone made it all the way to third place to take down a massive $132k score.
Jon “apestyles” Van Fleet also managed to make the final table of the Limit Hold’em event.
The 2012 WCOOP is winding down with today and Sunday the last days of the series.
It all culminates with the $5 million-guaranteed $5,200 No-Limit Hold’em Main Event on Sunday at 14:30 ET.
Here’s a complete recap of all the action on Day 20 of the 2012 PokerStars World Championship of Online Poker:
Event 57 $520+R No-Limit Hold’em
Russian online player Ti0373 outlasted over 800 runners and then beat a final table that included pros Nick “FU_15” Maimone and Alex “joiso” Kostritsyn to claim a WCOOP title in Event 57.
The semi-High Roller event drew a total of 846 players and once add-ons and rebuys were factored in there was a prize pool of $1 million.
Shane “Shaniac” Schleger, Bertrand “ElkY” Grospellier and Ana Marquez all made deep runs in the tournament but all eyes were on Maimone and Kostritsyn at the final table.
Kostritsyn, who famously won the 2008 Aussie Millions, entered the final table as the chip leader with 4.9 million and appeared to be a lock to take it down.
Instead Kostritsyn lost a series of pivotal pots and ended up going out in fifth place for $51k.
Meanwhile Maimone made it to third place but was denied a shot at heads-up when he shoved ace-ten into ace-king. Maimone picked up $132k for his efforts, in part thanks to a three-way chip.
Here are the complete final table payouts (*reflects a three-way deal):
- 1. Ti0373 (Russia) - $155,817.40 *
- 2. komisch99 (Germany) - $123,924.28 *
- 3. Nick 'FU_15' Maimone (Honduras) - $132,434.82 *
- 4. jliberta146 (Canada) - $73,657
- 5. Alexander 'joiso' Kostritsyn (Russia) - $51,963.50
- 6. Skipper-dawn (Denmark) - $41,873.50
- 7. LUFCBas (United Kingdom) - $31,783.50
- 8. PreshaDrop (Germany) - $22,298.90
- 9. Jymaster11 (Canada) - $12,915.20
Event 58 $1,050 Limit Hold’em
Numerous pros went deep in Event 58 but in the end Mexican player SlickDickey would not be denied the $57,420 first-place prize.
The $1,050 Limit Hold’em event drew 261 players to create a prize pool of $261,000 with the top 36 places getting paid.
Amit “AMAK316” Makhija, Terrence Chan, Thor “Osten” Hansen, Mike “goleafsgoeh” Leah all made the money but Jon “apestyles” Van Fleet did one better by making the final table.
Van Fleet would eventually be crippled by SlickDickey in a hand where SlickDickey flopped a set of sixes. Fighting from the short stack, Van Fleet would quickly get his money in the middle with ten-four and ended up getting called down by beng_51 with ace-queen.
Van Fleet picked up $15,660 for his efforts.
SlickDickey simply ran over the final table and entered heads-up against vestimokrec with 1.7 million chips to vestimokrec’s 169,269.
Unsurprisingly heads-up only took seven hands with SlickDickey winning the tournament with ace-eight.
- 1. SlickDickey (Mexico) $57,420.00
- 2. vestimokrec (Russia) $40,063.50
- 3. beng_51 (Russia) $30,015.00
- 4. hlamberg (Latvia) $20,880.00
- 5. Jon "apestyles" Van Fleet (Canada) $15,660.00
- 6. 2bb100hands (Russia) $10,440.00
Event 59 No-Limit Omaha-8
You don’t see a lot of No-Limit Omaha Hi-Lo tournaments but that didn’t seem to bother the 927 players who signed up for Event 59.
The tournament offered a $185,000 prize pool to the players who braved the unusual format to make it into the final 117.
Team PokerStars Pros Bertrand “ElkY” Grospellier, Daniel Negreanu, Marcin Horecki, Adrienne “talonchick” Rowsome all made the money but it was Chad Brown who put on a truly notable performance.
Brown outlasted all his fellow Team PokerStars Pro members to come painfully close to the final table, eventually busting in 17th place.
Russian iriskapoker entered the final table as the overwhelming chip leader with over one million chips but would surprisingly bust in sixth place.
Meanwhile German Beckersen81 would go on to win the tournament outright for $33,372 with no deal needed.
Here are the final table payouts:
- 1. Beckersen81 (Germany) $33,372.00
- 2. glockwood81 (Canada) $24,102.00
- 3. Macr0s (Germany) $17,983.80
- 4. AlexElizarov (Russia) $13,441.50
- 5. broken_jia (Canada) $9,344.16
- 6. iriskapoker (Russia) $7,490.16
- 7. 2mark (Germany) $5,636.16
- 8. temoshka87 (Russia) $3,800.70
- 9. ColdBryan ($2,317.50)
WCOOP Events Starting Today
11:00 ET – WCOOP-60 $700 Pot-Limit Omaha [Heads-Up}
- $700 buy-in $100,000 guaranteed
13:00 ET – WCOOP-61 $320 No-Limit Hold’em [SuperKnockout]
- $320 buy-in $250,000 guaranteed
15:00 ET – WCOOP-62 $2,100 HORSE
- $2,100 buy-in $200,00 guaranteed