Texas Holdem Set-Up and Play
Texas Hold'em Poker is a community card game with four betting rounds.
- One player acts as dealer. This position is called the button and it rotates clockwise after every hand.
- The two players to the left of the dealer are the small blind and the big blind, respectively. They are the only players who have money in the pot before the cards are dealt.
- Every player receives two cards face down. These are hole cards.
- The first betting round begins with the player sitting immediately to the left of the big blind, and continues clockwise.
- When the first betting round is completed, three community cards are flipped face up on the table. This is called the flop.
- The second round of betting begins with the first remaining player seated to the left of the button. The betting resumes, clockwise.
- When the second round of betting is finished, a fourth community card is flipped face up on the table. This is called the turn.
- The third round of betting commences with the first remaining player sitting to the left of the button. The betting moves clockwise, with the bets doubling on the turn.
- When the third round of betting is over, a fifth community card is flipped face up on the table. This is called the river.
- The fourth round of betting starts with the first remaining player seated to the left of the button. The betting continues to move clockwise.
How to make a hand
The players must combine their hole cards with the community cards to make the best possible 5-card poker hand. It is possible to use both hole cards, one hole card or no hole card (play the board), in an effort to make a hand.
|Hole Cards A || ||Hole Cards B|
| || || |
|The Flop ||The Turn ||The River|
| || |
|Final hand A || ||Final hand B|
Two pair (Q's and 3's with a K)
| || |
Two pair (K's and 3's with an A)
Ranking of hands
- Straight flush (the best straight flush hand: A-K-Q-J-T, all of the same suit)
- Four-of-a-kind (the best four-of-a-kind hand: A-A-A-A-K)
- Full house (the best full house hand: A-A-A-K-K)
- Flush (the best flush hand: any Ace-high flush)
- Straight (the best straight hand: A-K-Q-J-T)
- Three-of-a-kind (the best three-of-a-kind hand: A-A-A-K-Q)
- Two-pair (the best two-pair hand: A-A-K-K-Q)
- One-pair (the best one-pair hand: A-A-K-Q-J)
- No-pair (the best high hand: A-K-Q-J-9)
Read more about Texas Holdem
How to play Limit Texas Holdem
You May Also Like
FTOPS XXIV will come to a close this weekend with the $1.5m GTD Main Event and Black Card Pro team sponsorship for the player who...
December 07, 2013
The PokerListings Daily 3-Bet is a pocket thesaurus, a full juice box and an unexpected rhyme for Barry Greenstein blowing up the afternoon poker news...
New Mexico's Derrick Rosenbarger is the newest World Poker Tour champion after defeating a field of 862 players in Montreal to claim $500,824.
December 06, 2013
The PokerListings Daily 3-Bet is a set of fresh tires, a quick gas-up and a perfect slipstream down the afternoon poker news straightaway.
December 05, 2013