PokerListings.com is the world's largest and most trusted online poker guide, offering the best online poker bonus deals guaranteed, over $1m in exclusive freerolls every year and the most free poker content available on the Web.
Daily 3-Bet: WPT Beijing Boom, Sit Down Hellmuth, NHL CCR
The PokerListings Daily 3-Bet is the promotional half-court shot that’s held during half-time of the biggest mid-afternoon poker news game of the year.
You can always make your own suggestions for future 3-Bet pieces by plugging them into the comment’s section below.
In today’s Daily 3-Bet we’ll take a look at some solid numbers for WPT Beijing, Phil Hellmuth ballin’ and a credit card roulette that nearly bankrupted a young NHLer.
1) WPT Beijing Draws 400
The first-ever World Poker Tour Main Event in Beijing attracted 400 entries over the weekend, which is a positive sign for anyone that’s still waiting for that long-awaited poker boom in Asia.
WPT Beijing, which is taking place at NUO Hotel Beijing as part of the 2017 Ourgame Chess & Card Festival, is a unique event because the field is made up of Chinese qualifiers from Ourgame’s social gaming service and international players.
Locals make up a large portion of the remaining 27 players in the tournament but PokerStars pro and Singapore national Bryan Huang leads with 1.1 million chips.
First place in the inaugural event will pay out $299,485 (with $15,000 to play in the 2018 WPT Tournament of Champions).
This is the first time the WPT has run a Main Event in China but a National Event has been held in Sanya for the last five years.
Tomorrow the remaining 27 players will reconvene and play down to a final table of six. You can follow along via the WPT live updates.
2) Take a Seat Phil Hellmuth
The NBA playoffs are back, which means so are the Golden State Warriors and super fan Phil Hellmuth.
As you might expect Hellmuth was front and center in the Warriors Game 1 win over the Portland Trail Blazers last night.
Hellmuth donned his extra-tight jersey and grabbed a seat with Warriors majority owner Joe Lacob. We’ll begrudgingly give Hellmuth fair dues to his #PHNiceLife hashtag in this case.
At least one fan wasn’t super happy with Hellmuth’s courtside stature, however.
Wish Phil Hellmuth would sit down. He's blocking my view of the court and I'm watching on tv ffs— Christopher Yapp (@yappattack) April 16, 2017
3) Biznasty’s Epic Credit Card Roulette
Poker pros have been known to play some epic games of credit card roulette but it turns out NHLers are well versed in the practice as well.
Journeyman Paul “Biznasty” Bissonette, who once met Phil Hellmuth coincidentally, shared a pretty good tale of a nerve-wracking CCR from his early days yesterday on Twitter.
Who hasn’t at one point played a CCR that would break them?
1. Alright last one. Night before game in Detroit my first year in Pittsburgh. I'd been in the NHL a few weeks maybe a month.— Paul Bissonnette (@BizNasty2point0) April 17, 2017
2. Roughly 12 of us go 2 dinner at a nice spot and a few of us get into the wine. Boys being boys. 8-10 bottles later the bill finally comes— Paul Bissonnette (@BizNasty2point0) April 17, 2017
3. Bill was $3,300 and one of the vets calls credit card game. I'm a rookie so obviously I'm not backing out. Everyone is in.— Paul Bissonnette (@BizNasty2point0) April 17, 2017
4. As soon as I realize what I've done my anxiety clocks in. 1 by 1 the credit cards come out of the hat. With each card I'm a nervous wreck— Paul Bissonnette (@BizNasty2point0) April 17, 2017
5. Finally there are 2 cards left. Me and Pascal Dupuis. If my card doesn't get picked next those guys would have never seen me again.— Paul Bissonnette (@BizNasty2point0) April 17, 2017
6. I don't talk to God much but I called him collect that night & he answered my prayers. My card came out. That's when I knew God existed.— Paul Bissonnette (@BizNasty2point0) April 17, 2017