PokerListings.com is the world's largest and most trusted online poker guide, offering the best online poker bonus deals guaranteed, over $1m in exclusive freerolls every year and the most free poker content available on the Web.
Daily 3-Bet: Abernathy FTW, Amaya Up 8%, Carrel Springboards
The PokerListings Daily 3-Bet is an intense three-stage bicycle race through the many peaks and valleys of the mid-afternoon poker news world.
You can always make suggestions for future 3-Bet pieces in the comments section below.
In today’s Daily 3-Bet we’ll take a look at Samantha Abernathy cruising to $10k, Amaya’s Q4 earnings and Charlie Carrel’s plans for the future.
1) Abernathy Completes LV>LA
She did it, you guys.
Samantha Abernathy has successfully navigated the 320 miles from Las Vegas to Los Angeles the hard way. That means on a bike.
Abernathy started the ride on Thursday and completed the trip over the weekend.
Not bad for the third-place finisher in the 2016 Aussie Millions Main Event.
Abernathy says she wanted to do the ride just to challenge herself but the $10,000 freeroll from Dan Bilzerian probably didn’t hurt.
Of course it's Bilzerian's turn next. He’s doing the same ride but Bill Perkins only gave him 48 hours to complete the trip instead of the 72 hours that Abernathy had.
There’s also $1.2 million riding on Bilzerian’s trip, which definitely raises the stakes.
over 320 miles and a giant storm later...— Bambi (@SamAbernathyy) March 13, 2016
I'M ALIVE..... AND I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Amaya Earnings: Casino on the Rise, Poker Declines
Amaya released its 2015 Q4 earnings conference yesterday, which gave poker pundits something pour over for the next few days.
You can go ahead and check out the 10-page transcript here or you can settle for some quick takeaways below:
- Amaya actually posted a net loss during Q4 of 2015 but that was largely thanks to the flagging Canadian dollar
- Despite the Q4 loss, revenue improved by 8% for the year as a whole
- The people behind the PokerStars strike probably won’t love the fact Amaya says it enjoyed an $8.7 million revenue boost thanks to re-structuring the VIP Supernova Elite program. The company says it still plans re-distributing that money to recreational players.
- Poker revenue took a 4% hit in 2015 but Amaya gained a significant number of casino customers which helped improve overall revenue compared to 2014.
- The company was able to reduce its debt of USD $3.1 billion to $2.6 billion.
3) Yahoo Spotlights Britain’s “Poker Hippie” Charlie Carrel
U.K. poker pro Charlie Carrel is a cool cat.
We’ve been saying it for years and even awarded him a Spirit of Poker Award in 2015.
Well apparently Yahoo picked up what we were laying down because the site published a feature of the Londoner earlier today.
Most of the interview covered well-trodden territory but Carrel did talk a little bit about his future beyond the game of poker, which was pretty interesting:
There is no logical reason why I should make hundreds of thousands of pounds where on the other side of the world there are people who with hundreds of thousands of pounds would be able to save a city or a village.
I want to go back to academia, get a degree in psychology or medicine, become a psychotherapist, maybe an historian.
Poker is just a kind of a lovely springboard into other things.