PokerListings.com is the world's largest and most trusted online poker guide, offering the best online poker bonus deals guaranteed, over $1m in exclusive freerolls every year and the most free poker content available on the Web.
WSOP 2009 notable numbers: U.S. and A-ok
Two weeks and 14 gold bracelets into the 2009 WSOP, the record-breaking numbers are beginning to pile up.
As they are wont to do, the WSOP has released some of its notable numbers to this point, outlining some statistical highlights as of the awarding of bracelet #10.
And the numbers so far seem to be establishing the 40th World Series of Poker as, indeed, one of the most impressive yet.
- 17,093 total entrants in the WSOP so far this year, with the vast majority (14,502) coming from the United States.
- Of all states, California leads with 3,306 entrants. Nevada (1,649); Texas (987); Florida (896); and New York (819) round out the Top 5.
- 861 Canadians have represented the Great White North, will all 10 provinces (and one territory) sending players.
- 57 other countries have sent players, with the U.K. leading the pack with 269 entrants, followed by Germany (170), France (113), Russia (111) and the Netherlands (83).
- Other countries represented include the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Korea, India, China, Belarus and Turkey.
- Americans have dominated the bracelet leaderboard, winning 9 of the first 10 events. Russia (Vitaly Lunkin) has the lone non-U.S. bracelet. (Note: now 12 of 14, with Ville Wahlbeck of Finland ading the other non-U.S. bracelet.)
- The $40,000 No-Limit Hold'em Event 2 set a record for largest live tournament outside of a Main Event with a prize pool of $7,718,400.
- The 918 entrants for Event 3 established a record for the largest Omaha live-tournament field ever.
The 40th annual WSOP started on May 26 at the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas and continues until July 15.
This will be the second year that the final nine players will return to Las Vegas in November to compete for the WSOP Main Event gold bracelet.
Catch the live action and more in the 2009 WSOP section.