After the PCA in January Poland’s Dominik Panka, who beat McDonald for the PCA Main Event title, stood atop the leaderboard with 397 points.
Panka couldn’t hold off a surging McDonald, however, who finished second in the Aussie Millions $100k Challenge for $1.3 million and then picked up $1.7 million for coming third in the $250k Challenge.
McDonald also finished eighth in the PCA $100k Super High Roller to throw another $217,320 on the massive pile of cash he’s earned so far in 2014.
The Waterloo, Ontario, Canada native now has 496.14 points in the GPI POY rankings, which puts him 99 past Panka.
Thanks to his incredible start to 2014 McDonald is now in a very select group of poker players who have earned over $10 million in their lifetime playing live poker tournaments.
The current top 10 in the POY race:
- 1. Mike McDonald CAN 496.14
- 2. Dominik Panka POL 397.13
- 3. Dan Smith USA 385.81
- 4. Vanessa Selbst USA 383.14
- 5. Davidi Kitai BEL 348.20
- 6. Jason Mercier USA 343.20
- 7. Alex Denisov RUS 337.94
- 8. Liv Boeree UK 326.19
- 9. Fabian Quoss GER 305.70
- 10. Amichai Barer CAN 304.33
Negreanu Retakes Spot as Overall GPI #1
In other GPI news Daniel Negreanu has returned to GPI’s overall #1 after several significant cashes at the Aussie Millions. Negreanu’s GPI score is a lofty 4,093 while German Ole Schemion sits in second place with 3,883.
Marvin Rettenmaier, Dan Smith and Jason Mercier are also in the top five. Current hot-hand Mike McDonald sits in seventh place overall with a score of 3,444.
Check the GPI website for a complete break down of the movers and shakers on the GPI over the last week. The current top 10 in the GPI rankings:
- 1. Daniel Negreanu CAN 4093.60
- 2. Ole Schemion GER 3883.97
- 3. Marvin Rettenmaier GER 3665.16
- 4. Dan Smith USA 3640.86
- 5. Jason Mercier USA 3516.36
- 6. Philipp Gruissem GER 3478.73
- 7. Mike McDonald CAN 3444.73
- 8. Vanessa Selbst USA 3426.44
- 9. Erik Seidel USA 3318.49
- 10. Ravi Raghavan USA 3299.15