PokerListings.com is the world's largest and most trusted online poker guide, offering the best online poker bonus deals guaranteed, over $1m in exclusive freerolls every year and the most free poker content available on the Web.
Gold's crew takes Dream Team title
The second Dream Team Poker event wrapped last night from Caesars Palace in Las Vegas with Jamie Gold's Team Aced taking down top team honors.
Gold and girlfriend Ashley Nataupksy both made the final table, meaning Team Aced had locked up the team portion of the event long before the individual winner was crowned.
The 2006 WSOP Main Event champ would end up busting in ninth place, leaving Nataupsky to fight on.
"It looks like your girlfriend has outlasted you again, this time in poker," announcer Alex Outhred quipped after Gold's elimination.
With 60% of the prize pool going to the top seven teams and the other 40% being doled out based on individual standing, team strategy became a big factor at the final table.
This was especially true for the two teams battling for second place and the $33,300 that went with it.
With five players remaining, Team Claddagh's Phil R. had to finish fourth or better to guarantee his team silver over Team Clones.
Despite the fact that the Clones had no player at the final table, they were on the rail cheering vehemently against Phil and his teammates.
Gold agreed this was a novel consequence of the team format.
"It makes it really interesting because people have a stake in it even if they're not in the tournament any longer," he said.
Much to the chagrin of the Clones, Phil R. eliminated John Regis of Team Poker Masters to clinch second place. Phil fought on and made it heads-up before losing to Danny Nelson of Team Bikerhaven.net.
In accordance with a three-way chop between Nelson, Phil R. and Gerald Percival, each took $13,000, with an additional $6,000 and the trophy eventually going to Nelson.
But even after Nelson's win, the spotlight was shining directly on Jamie Gold and Team Aced.
A fact Nelson, no stranger to the Caesars Palace pits, had no problem with.
"The way I look at it, Caesars is giving me a refund," he said with a smile, holding up the silver tray of cash to the cameras.
The unbelievably pro-heavy turnout here at Caesars gave Dream Team Poker quite a kick-start, and with a former World Champion like Jamie Gold winning it all, it appears to be on the path to success.
"It's the most fun you can have without $12 million on the line," said Gold. "My WSOP bracelet is in a vault, but my Dream Team Poker trophy will be on my mantel for all to see."
For a full rundown of all the action click through to the live update blog.