PokerListings.com is the world's largest and most trusted online poker guide, offering the best online poker bonus deals guaranteed, over $1m in exclusive freerolls every year and the most free poker content available on the Web.
ElkY Upsets Cates on First Day of GPL Heads-Up Action
Dan “jungleman” Cates stole the show on the very first day of heads-up matches in the Global Poker League and he didn’t even win his best of 3.
Instead Bertrand “ElkY” Grospellier pulled ahead of Cates 2-1 but viewers were the real winners as Cates let everyone in on his high-level thought process during the match.
Also Cates wasn't afraid to utter a few profanities, which delighted fans around the world.
Here are the results from the first day of heads-up action:
- Bertrand Grospellier Beats Daniel Cates 2-1
- Randy Lew Beats Sergey Lebedev 3-0
- Juston Bonomo Beats Timothy Adams 2-1
Nanonoko Shuts Out Lebedev
The day kicked off with Randy “Nanonoko” Lew of the Hong Kong Stars laying a beating on the Moscow Wolverines' Sergey Lebedev.
Lebedev didn’t play badly but simply got smacked by variance. Unfortunately the Wolverines really needed some points after getting off to a slow start yesterday.
Meanwhile the Hong Kong Stars look unbeatable thanks to amazing performances by Lew and Raiden Kan yesterday.
From there we got ElkY vs. Jungleman, which proved to be the highlight match of the day. ElkY snuck an early win in but Cates battled back and tied the series at one a piece.
Cates was playing at such a high level that a win seemed almost guaranteed at that point but somehow ElkY pulled off a victory.
Meanwhile the Rome Emperors’ Timothy Adams gave Justin Bonomo, of the London Royals, a very hard time in an intellectual match but Bonomo finally pulled off the win after battling back from just eight blinds in the final match.
The GPL doesn’t let up with Americas heads-up matches scheduled for tomorrow. Here’s a look at the match-ups:
- Olivier Busquet/LA Sunset vs Darren Elias/Sao Paolo Mets
- Martin Jacobson/Montreal Nationals vs Anton Wigg/San Francisco Rush
- Tom Marchese/New York Rounders vs Anthony Zinno/Las Vegas Moneymakers
Lastly here’s a look at the updated team standings (with GPL Americas set to play tomorrow):
- 1. Hong Kong Stars - 18 points
- 2. Paris Aviators - 16 points
- 3. London Royals - 12 points
- 4. Rome Emperors - 9 points
- 5. Moscow Wolverines - 5 points
- 6. Berlin Bears - 3 points
- 1. New York Rounders - 10 points
- 2. Las Vegas Moneymakers - 10 points
- 3. Montreal Nationals - 9 points
- 4. Sao Paulo Mets - 4 points
- 5. Los Angeles Sunset - 3 points
- 6. San Fransisco Rush - 0 points