The PokerListings Daily 3-Bet is a perfect ball fake, a devastating jab step and the next eight weeks in an afternoon poker news walking boot.
Have something you'd like to see in a future 3-Bet? Drop a note in the comments.
Today in the 3-Bet we find Gus Hansen piling on himself for his terrible tilt control and table selection, 2012 WSOP Main Event champ Greg Merson goes down and the questionable science growing surrounding our facial expressions.
1) Gus: Table Selection "Worst Ever"
Sigh. We caught up with the latest on Gus Hansen from Poker Nyhederne yesterday and the news wasn't, well, the most encouraging.
According to Gus he's not heading back to poker soon (EPT Grand Final might be next) and his semi-forced break with Full Tilt in fact came at a good time given hiss overwhelming losses. A brief comeback over the holidays also didn't go too well.
A new part of the same interview is up and it's more of the same. Topics include how high-stakes players have surpassed him, how his tilt control, table selection and stubbornness might be the worst ever and his iffy plans to return to the game at much lower levels.
On the upside, Squash and Bridge seem to be going well for him.
2) Merson Tears Achilles, Might Still Stream on Twitch
We assume this was some sort of basketball-related injury, but man. No wonder Merson had the stamina to win back-to-back tournaments at the 2012 WSOP. He might still stream himself playing poker on Twitch tonight after tearing his Achilles.
Torn Achilles fml pic.twitter.com/tiR9xGqhZA— Greg Merson (@GregMerson) January 21, 2015
Thanks for all the get well wishes everyone. Hoping to still stream tomorrow as long as there isn't too much pain.— Greg Merson (@GregMerson) January 21, 2015
If you're looking for it tune in to the GripsedPoker Twitch channel at 5 pm ET.
3) Your Poker Face Tomorrow
We don't really understand half of this Vice Sports article on Facial Coding science but it's still interesting enough to pass along. What we can decipher:
- The Milwaukee Bucks (of the NBA) hired a "facial coding expert" as a consultant
- He catalogued "minute facial muscle movements" from video of potential draft prospects
- Hill's company, Sensory Logic, uses a 43-muscle "Facial Action Coding System" (FACS) to determine a person's emotional state.
- It was part of the reason they drafted Jabari Parker over Dante Exum
- "Facial action coding is the mechanics behind the poker face, quantified."
What does it all mean? F*** if we know. Interesting article though.