PokerListings.com is the world's largest and most trusted online poker guide, offering the best online poker bonus deals guaranteed, over $1m in exclusive freerolls every year and the most free poker content available on the Web.
Daily 3-Bet: Black Friday 5yrs Later, SHRPO Begins, Colman Speaks
The PokerListings Daily 3-Bet is like a special screening of next week’s mid-afternoon poker news.
You can always make suggestions for future 3-Bet pieces in the comments section below.
In today’s Daily 3-Bet we’ll take a look at the five-year anniversary of Black Friday, a massive tournament in Florida and a rare Dan Colman appearance.
1) Black Friday Retrospective
Five years ago today the poker world changed forever.
The Department of Justice unsealed an indictment against the big three poker sites operating in the USA and all three were promptly forced out the market, forever changing the US poker landscape. It's now commonly referred to as online poker's Black Friday.
What’s changed since then? Well the most recent update is that PokerStars is finally operating in the USA again (albeit it only in New Jersey).
Here’s what the poker Twittersphere has to say about the historic day, five years later:
Sad wave to all the people out there who remember exactly where they were when they heard the news five years ago today. (I was on a plane.)— Brad Willis (@BradWillis) April 15, 2016
Shame on the USA government for taking away our freedom to play poker online #BlackFriday— Ari Engel (@realAriEngel) April 15, 2016
2) $2m-GTD SHRPO Begins
The Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open has rather quickly established itself as one of the premier poker events of the year.
With a massive poker community in Florida and some top flight winners over the years including Dan Colman and Blair Hinkle, it’s got a lot of prestige in a relatively short amount of time.
This year the $3,500 buy-in SHRPO is offering a $2,000,000 guarantee and there are already over 300 players registered for the event, which means that $2m guarantee is likely going to be crushed.
The tournament kicked off at noon today with hundreds of players flocking to the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel.
Edit: They already hit the guarantee with 625 runners.
With five minutes left in Level 1 of the Championship, the 625th entrant registered to hit the $2 Million Guarantee. pic.twitter.com/3SeIMEbKKr— SHRPO (@shrpo) April 15, 2016
3) Dan Colman’s Poker Life
It’s not often we get to hear from 2014 Big One for One Drop winner Dan Colman but Joe “ChicagoJoey” Ingram managed to get the HU Sit & Go legend on his Poker Life Podcast this week.
After listening to the two hour podcast the immediate thought is that it’s a shame Colman doesn’t really do interviews. He’s obviously intelligent, articulate and has some very interesting things to say.
Also props to ChicagoJoey for scoring another great guest on his show. You can check out a VOD of the show below.
Here are a few nuggets Colman dropped on the podcast:
- When he started playing poker Colman was more interested in the competition than the money. He wanted to play the best of the best. He went broke a lot.
- Colman was actually disappointed after winning One Drop because he liked the heads-up against Daniel Negreanu so much.
- Believes Viktor “Isildur1” Blom has the most raw talent in poker. Also mentioned he thinks Blom was taken advantage of because he has a gambling problem.
- Colman says he used to troll people in chat as a way to vent when he was tilting.
- He had no success initially when playing live tournaments.
- Colman had the biggest piece of his $1m Big One for One Drop buy-in but Olivier Busquet, Haralabos Voulgaris and several German high rollers all had percentages.