With the 2010 World Series of Poker just a few months away it's time to start picking horses, players that you can hitch your ropes to and ride into a big WSOP.
Since I'm an online player, I'm in charge of picking the online players who have the best shot. It's a tough job. With so many sickos online it's almost impossible to narrow it down to just five. That said, here are my top five picks to have sick, breakout years at the 2010 WSOP.
5. Stephen "MrTimCaum" O'Dwyer - MTC has been playing more and more live tournaments with no real huge score yet. Despite not getting that big breakthrough victory he has stacked over $600k in live winnings.
Final tables at the $5k NAPT Venetian main event, the $15k WPT Five Diamond and the $10k Heads-Up Championship at the '09 WSOP have put O'Dwyer within sight of that big one but so far he's fallen short.
I wouldn't count on a player with his skill set being kept off the board too much longer. Look for him to put up a very impressive 2010 WSOP.
4. Dan "djk123" Kelly - Known as Imabigkidnow on FTP, djk123 has over $1.2 million in Online tournament winnings in the past year alone, the biggest cash dollar wise being a fourth-place finish in the WCOOP Main Event for $643,200.
To give you an idea of his skills, Annette Obrestad was once asked who she would most hate to be out of position against. Dan Kelly was one of four names she mentioned.
If Dan can bring even a little of that success from the online tables to the Rio this summer than he's sure to post some results.
3. Chris "Moorman1" Moorman - One of the most consistent MTT grinders online Moorman1 won the PocketFives.com PLB award in 2009 and has won an estimated $4 million life time online.
Now, as a member of the DoylesRoom Brunson 10 Chris Moorman will be looking to play a full schedule at the WSOP and no doubt pick up more than his fair of cashes.
We made him a 2009 WSOP Best Bet and he didn't exactly come through in the clutch. We've got faith, however. This is his year.
2. Steve "gboro780" Gross - Another Brunson10 member Steve "gboro780" Gross has been destroying online mtts for five years now and in that time has banked nearly $3 million in online earnings.
He's currently leading the PocketFives leader board and is looking to continue that success come WSOP time.
1. Andrew "Luckychewy" Lichtenberger - No longer a sleeper pick after going super deep in the Main Event last year and most recently winning the Caesars Palace $5k Circuit event, LuckyChewy is one sick online player.
But, unlike the rest of this list, Luckychewy isn't an MTT player online. He's a high stakes cash game player, specializing in heads-up.
He's proven that the skills he's taken from those games transfers over to the live arena and, unlike most high stakes cash game players, luckychewy can get fired up to play tournaments.
It'll be tough to top his last year's performance of a 2nd in the $5k shootout and 18th in the main event but you can bet that luckychewy will try. He certainly has the skills to do it.
Keep an eye on our WSOP 2010 Live Coverage section to follow all the action!