Need some evidence that the general public’s thirst for poker hasn’t subsided over the years?
Just head over the app store for pretty much whatever game device you rock and you’ll likely find hundreds of different options.
Prominence Poker is the latest high-profile poker game to launch on Xbox One and Steam Early Access with a PS4 coming later this month.
The game features a Rounders-esque story of a small-stakes grinder moving up the underground poker stakes. You’ll play against various faction leaders including The Mayor (just think of him as TeddyKGB!).
You’ll actually be able to bluff using special emotes and building up your reputation in the virtual town of Prominence.
There will also be a multi-player mode if you want to battle your friends in play-money games.
It was developed by World Series of Poker: Full House vets Pipeworks Studios but this game has a more adult feel and it’s recommended for players 18 years and older.
Will it tear you away from actual real-money poker like PokerStars or 888poker? Probably not but the single-player mode might be worth a play through at the very least. It's actually free to try right now so there's no reason not to check it out if you're into poker video games.
You can learn more about the game at the Prominence Poker home page.
Here’s a rundown of some of the notable features followed by a video preview of the game:
- Single player story mode with a rags to riches tale of a grinder moving his way up the stakes.
- Underground Gambling atmosphere with venues like Biker Bars and shady laundromats.
- Different faction leaders (end bosses essentially) that display different styles of poker.
- Comprehensive character creator with facial, hair, body and clothing options.
- Unlocks include special emotes, items, prestige and more.