Some players deliberately try to gain an edge on their opponents by playing mind games on them, or attempt to throw them off their game with words or actions they know will get under their skin.
At other times, people are just oblivious to the fact that what they are doing is irritating someone - and it's often the unintentional types of irritations that can be the most tilt-inducing of all.
Whatever the case, here are the top 5 tilt inducers in a live poker environment.
Use, or avoid, at your own discretion.
5) Saying "ship it" after a suck-out on the river. Actually, saying "ship it" at any point, in any situation, is irritating.
Save it for when you're at the FedEx counter.
4) Explaining your irrational decision-making process after outdrawing an opponent with completely nonsensical arguments.
If this is done intentionally, and orchestrated to perfection with just the right amount of sarcasm and feigned ignorance of poker knowledge, it can be one of the most powerful weapons in any poker player's arsenal.
Be careful, though, because this will put a target on your back from the tilted player and will sound the donkey alarm for the rest of the table. They'll make a mental note that you are clueless, so pay even more attention to what you are doing.
That way you can eventually tilt the entire table :-P.
3) Slow-rolling the nuts because you think it's funny. It's bad form and it makes people mad. Probably wise not to do this since the poker gods will smite you with unrelenting savagery on wicked-nasty turns and rivers.
But yeah; if you wish to induce tilt for the short term, this is a solid tactic.
2) Attempting to win an Oscar for any performance when you already know what you will do. Especially if you are tanking with a Unabomber hoodie on.
Additional tiltage points are awarded for combining accessories which include, but are not limited to, sunglasses and headphones.
1) Felting an opponent while simultaneously motioning to the cashier (or chip runner) and yelling "CHIPS!" followed by a feminine giggle.
Knowledge of any school of self-defense is useful in this scenario, and flying kicks and surprise left hooks are not unwarranted here.
More poker top 5 lists: