Poker’s a changing game, you hear it every day. No longer are you guaranteed to have even one weak spot at your table in a big buy-in tournament.
To give you an idea of what we mean, consider this patch of felt we captured on film from Day 3 here at the EPT London Main Event.
This is the kind of competition you’re going to face if you ever find yourself taking shot at a European Poker Tour or similar event.
This is the EPT London Day 3 table of death, by the numbers.
- Tony Cascarino is a legend in Irish football (the European kind) and has proved he’s got what it takes to compete on the poker felt as well. Cascarino has earned almost $600,000 since getting his start in low buy-in tournaments back in 2003.
His first major win came in a $1,000 side event at the Caribbean Poker Classic in 2006, good for $28,400. In 2008 he took down a GUKPT tour stop for $96,000 and won the Grand Final on the same tour one year later for $283,412, his biggest score to date.
Cascasino’s best finish on the European Poker Tour was 14th right here at EPT London in 2007, earning him just under $45,000.
- Tristan “cre8tive” Wade has made over $1.4 million playing tournament poker online and over $700,000 playing live.
This past WSOP was especially lucrative for the Florida native, with a fourth-place finish in the $10k Six-Max championship for $292,866 and a seventh-place finish in a $1,500 donkament good for $94,700.
Wade is a passionate blogger and an instructor at Deepstacks University.
- Steve “MrTimCaum” O’Dwyer has earned over $1.1 million playing live and hundreds of thousands more playing online.
O’Dwyer’s record begins in 2007 with a $17k score at the PCA and four WSOP cashes worth roughly $70,000. One year later he made over $100k at the WSOP, including his first final table. His biggest scores are a sixth at the 2009 WPT Five Diamond at Bellagio for $202,362 and a win at the 2011 Bellagio Cup in a $5k side event for $259,452.
- Barny Boatman is a legitimate London old-schooler and full patch member of the Hendon Mob with over $1.7 million in live tournament earnings.
- Jason Mercier is the favorite in almost any tournament on earth, evidenced by his more than $6.7 million in live tournament earnings.
He’s got two WSOP bracelets, an open EPT title, numerous high roller wins and a long list of significant cashes. And all that’s in addition to the huge success he’s enjoyed playing cash and MTT poker online.