Phil Ivey Busts WSOP Main Event Final Table

Share:
8 November 2009, Created By: Matthew Showell
Phil Ivey Busts WSOP Main Event Final Table

The poker world just had a knife plunged into its heart and that knife came in the form of a bad beat laid on Phil Ivey at the final table of the 2009 WSOP Main Event.

Ivey was the fan favorite, the best player not only at this table but at any table anywhere where poker is played.

We wanted him to win the Main Event and, chances are if you're reading this, you did too.

It wasn't to be however. He played well and despite losing a few key pots he put himself in a great spot to make a run at the title.

In the end he went out like so many of us have, holding the best hand and watching helplessly as the dealer laid his demise down on the felt.

A-K for Ivey against Darvin Moon's A-Q. A queen on the flop and it was all over.

Ivey gets seventh place and $1.4 million and change but the poker world gets nothing but a pervading sense of disappointment.

Ivey, our hats are off to you. You're still the man. Even if we now know for sure that you're mortal.

-- Matthew Showell

Share:

Please fill the required fields correctly!

Error saving comment!

You need to wait 3 minutes before posting another comment.

Anthony Altemari 2010-03-11 15:06:50

Michael and whoever says this isn't a bad beat, you guys are idiots. If you knew anything about poker 72 off-suit has a better chance to beat AK than AQ.

PokerPro 2009-12-23 11:22:48

Yeah!!!! I heard that Linda, the dealer that dealt Ivey the bad beat was fired recently for cheating. About time, she had no customer service skills.

valulife 2009-11-24 01:39:00

matt.. please go over some basics.. any poker book will or any odds calc or a little more thinking will do.. the 8% you refered are true only on the river.. preflop its waaaaay different.. to be exact:
Ivey: 72.35% win Tie: 4.68%
Moon: 22.97% win Tie: 4.68%
About the hand.. It is a question of definition of the term bad beat.. I know people who say 99 vs AA is bad beat (they having the nines). Also, from poker sites you may see BB JP which something like quads vs straight flush which is at the other end of the definition.. in my opinion it isn't a bad beat because hands like this are not so rare.. (I have a few million hands played online poker so I can say I have some experience). Of course Ivey was the favorite and played the hand right but we all know that playing right does not = always win. Toobad though for him because he had a great WSOP this year.. it would have been the perfect ending.

larry 2009-11-16 15:14:00

bad beat or not, if you fold the winning hand because you choose not to pay atention you are asking for trouble.

Matt 2009-11-14 03:09:00

This is for Sin and Mike and whoever else might have the thought that AQ in that situation was not a bad beat. If you play poker(I'm assuming that you do) you know that it's a game of odds and betting on those odds. In that particular situation with seven players at the table, the player with AQ needs to spike one of those queens in a deck of 38. There is roughly an 8% chance of that happening. Of course there are different ways that Moon could have won the pot but they are much longer shots(ie J 10 9 8 hitting the board). So the player with AK is a 92% favorite(I know some of you will disagree with that but I discount long shots) and to put that in perspective, Moon had about the same odds at winning that hand as the Cleveland Browns do of winning the Super Bowl. So, to say that you think that it was not a bad beat is to be screaming at the top of your lungs on top of the Luxor that you don't know poker, or gambling for that matter.

Jim 2009-11-12 12:41:00

NOT A BAD BEAT???? Moon was playing 1 card and that 1 card wouldnt even do him any good if a king came. Not a bad beat?
cluess donkey idiots, you guys are morons, low IQ fish, not a bad beat. Had him completely dominated why do you guys even bother opening your holes.

Mary Beth 2009-11-11 08:11:00

AQ beating AK is a bad beat. If one of the remaining Aces hits then AK wins so Ivey has more obvious outs than Moon does. If none of their cards hits, Ivey still wins because he has higher cards. Moon hit one of three queens left in the deck to beat him. This is obviously a bad beat.

Omar 2009-11-11 07:29:00

Sin, what are you talking about? It's not the fact that Moon had AQ, its the fact that it was against AK. Moon would've rather had 5 6 hearts against AK preflop over AQ cause his chances to win were much better.

Rob 2009-11-09 05:37:00

I thought A Q was a loser? LOL!

Mark Kendall 2009-11-09 03:53:00

It's not even remotely close on who the best player was at the final table. As everyone knows the amature players always seem to run good in the main event. Like some of the recent past winners Jerry Yang, Jamie Gold and Moneymaker who got his money in horrid on many occasions in the 2005 Main Event and sucked out. Ivey has showed the world his consistancy over the last few years which makes him the obvious pro and best player. It was just unfortunate that another amature got it in bad and lucked out. Nice tournament Phil!

Bloggers
The Poker Reporter Blog

The Poker Reporter Blog

Poker news, gossip, parties, donkstrikery and functioning illiteracy with the PL.com crew!
Latest Posts 's Page  
Positively Nerd Street

Positively Nerd Street

Pr0n for the poker nerd. Hardware, software, gadgets, etc; like poker, but from the future.
Latest Posts 's Page  
The Guest Blog

The Guest Blog

A menagerie of poker pros, celebrities, poker writers and industry figures.
Latest Posts 's Page  
Battle of Malta Blog

Battle of Malta Blog

Photo essays, player profiles, travel tips, off-the-cuff interviews and more from Battle of Malta!
Latest Posts 's Page  
×

Sorry, this room is not available in your country.

Please try the best alternative which is available for your location:

Close and visit page