PokerListings.com is the world's largest and most trusted online poker guide, offering the best online poker bonus deals guaranteed, over $1m in exclusive freerolls every year and the most free poker content available on the Web.
Battle of Malta Among Nominees for 15th European Poker Awards
The 2015 PokerListings Battle of Malta was designed to bring the atmosphere of a high-stakes VIP event to a low buy-in tournament that nearly any player could enter.
It’s hard to argue with the result as the tournament garnered 1,804 entries and has now been nominated for an award at the 15th GPI European Poker Awards.
The 2015 Battle of Malta was nominated for Event of the Year in the under €2,000 category.
The Battle of Malta is no stranger to the European Poker Awards and last year it took top honors in the same category.
This year the Battle of Malta will have some stiff competition, however, as the massively popular Norwegian Championships has been nominated as well.
Here’s a complete look at the under €2,000 category:
- Estrellas Poker Tour Barcelona (August)
- Norwegian Championships Norway Cup (November)
- PokerListings Battle of Malta (November)
- WPT500 at Dusk till Dawn (November)
Neuville, Holz Among Other Nominees
There were plenty of other nominations announced today along with a couple outright winners based on the number of GPI points generated in 2015.
Here’s a breakdown of all the European Poker Award Categories:
GPI Player of the Year (Based on GPI’s Scoring Formula)
- Fedor Holz
GPI Female Player of the Year (Based on GPI’s Scoring Formula)
- Liv Boeree
Media Person of the Year
- Frank Op de Woerd
- Lee Davy
- Neil Stoddart
- Remko Rinkema
Industry Person of the Year
- Edgar Stuchly
- Hermance Blum
- Luca Vivaldi
- Rob Yong
Breakout Player of the Year
- Charlie Carrel
- Dzmitry Urbanovich
- Fedor Holz
- Rainer Kempe
Tournament Performance of the Year
- Adrian Mateos Wins the 2015 EPT Grand Final Main Event
- Barny Boatman wins second career WSOP bracelet at WSOP Europe
- Fedor Holz Wins WPT Alpha8 Las Vegas
- Mustapha Kanit wins EPT Barcelona 10K High Roller
Tournament of the Year (Buy-in Over €2,000)
- EPT Barcelona Main Event
- EPT Grand Final Main Event
- EPT Prague Main Event
- WSOP Europe Main Event
Poker Innovation or Initiative of the Year
- Norwegian Championship broadcast (sports style)
- PokerStars Play Along App – Interactive Poker on TV
- PokerStars using superstars (athletes) for global campaign
- WSOP Europe remote Twitch broadcasts
Moment of the Year
- Dzmitry Urbanovich wins Crazy Pineapple tourney at EPT Malta – 4th win of series
- Epic hand between Mateos and Lodden at EPT Grand Final (Negreanu on stream 'We’re seeing some high-level poker')
- John Gale returns from three years off (because of brain tumor) to win WSOP bracelet #2
- Pierre Neuville qualifies for the WSOP November Nine – after declaring he wasn’t done (at 2014 Euro Awards)
Poker Media Content of the Year
- 'The Future of Poker in the Post-Boom Era', Sam Grafton blog
- 'The Thrill of Victory, The Agony of Defeat' Neil Stoddart’s picture captures Montury consoling Messina at EPT Malta
- Devilfish: A Friend with a Heart of Gold, PokerNews article (Jesse May, Mickey May)
- Remko Report, PokerNews Podcast, August 2015 – Eli Elezra talks time in Israli Army and high stakes with legends
The 15th Annual GPI European Poker Awards are set to take place May 3, 2016, at the Monte Carlo Bay Hotel in Monaco.